Judge Aquilina was our guest at Iowa State University’s media ethics class, speaking about justice, social justice, #MeToo Movement, and evil vs. good in society. View her eloquent presentation and read about her life, heritage and contributions to social justice.
- Earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in English and Journalism at Michigan State University.
- Earned Juris Doctorate degree from Thomas M. Cooley Law School (now called Western Michigan University Cooley Law School) in Lansing, Michigan.
- Worked for 10 years as administrative assistant and campaign manager for state senator John F. Kelly, and then as a partner in his lobbying firm, Strategic Governmental Consultants, PLLC.
- Formed Aquilina Law Firm, PLC, practicing for several years.
- Became host of Ask the Family Lawyer, a syndicated radio talk show.
- Joined the Michigan Army National Guard, where she became the state’s first female member of the Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
- Served in the Michigan Army National Guard for twenty years before retiring.
- Is an adjunct professor at Western Michigan University Cooley Law School.
- Accomplished chef with YouTube videos featuring Rosemarie’s Kitchen.
- Author of several award-winning fiction books.
Presiding Judge in Larry Nassar Case
In 2018, Judge Aquilina presided over the USA Gymnastics sex abuse scandal case. She allowed 156 women and girls involved with the US Olympics gymnastics team doctor, Larry Nassar, to present personal testimony on their sexual abuse. She sentenced Nassar to up to 175 years in prison for sexual abuse of juveniles and young women over the past two decades.
NBC News Interview with Judge Aquilina
Book Author: International Guest of Malta Book Council
Rosemarie was chosen as the 2019 keynote speaker of the Malta Book Festival. Listen to the podcast about her work Triple Cross Killer to understand why she writes fiction.
Video and story at SEEN: https://seenthemagazine.com/judge-rosemarie-aquilina-triple-cross-killer-book-talk/
Our Malta Connection
Rosemarie Aquilina and I are friends. We both share the same heritage as dual citizens of Malta and the United States.
Her family hails from Qrendi …
My family from Ghajnsielem
HOUSE OF AQUILINA
We also share a surname. Here’s my nanna, Antonia Aquilina
Surname is derived from the word aquila, which means eagle. The surname was given to those whose eyesight and talons are sharp as a raptor. That describes Judge Rosemarie Aquilina.